About the City of La Prairie
La Prairie is a dynamic, fast-growing city with a population of 26,460 citizens.
With 350 years of rich history, La Prairie seamlessly combines historic charm with modern vibrancy. Recognized as a heritage site, the city boasts a lively public market, scenic St. Jacques River banks, a conservation park, and easy access to the St. Lawrence River, hosting a plethora of cultural, sports, and leisure events. La Prairie stands as a forward-looking city, embracing its past while embracing the future.
Culture, mission, & Values
The City of La Prairie stands out for its dedicated promotion of citizen engagement. Through open and inclusive dialogue, the city actively encourages residents’ participation.
The city adopts a management approach rooted in attentive listening and team mobilization. It ensures transparent communication, fostering a harmonious collaboration between politics and administration, free from interference.
As a vital part of our revitalized management team, you will promote teamwork and interdepartmental collaboration using a cross-functional management approach. Your responsibilities will include stringent budget management, enhancing service performance, efficiency, and quality.
Additionally, you will serve as a financial advisor to senior management, encouraging innovative ideas.
Your role will also encompass overseeing, coordinating, and controlling procurement activities and IT systems.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
- Act as an expert advisor to the General Management, City Council, and the management of other departments in matters of municipal finance.
- Define strategies, objectives, orientations, and policies for your sector of activity, and ensure their application.
- Plan, direct, and control all treasury, budget, payroll, and municipal finance activities in compliance with the Cities and Towns Act and the Town’s objectives and orientations.
- Ensure the production of the investment plan, the financial framework, the budget, budget tracking, and forecasts, as well as the execution of the budget cycle.
- Oversee the auditing and closing of the accounting cycle, prepare the financial report for the last fiscal year, and certify its veracity.
- Supervise and control, in conjunction with the Human Resources Department, the compensation and benefits of municipal personnel.
- Act as treasurer of municipal elections; verify candidates’ election expenses and produce any report required by the Chief Electoral Officer.
- Represent the Town on the pension plan committee, act as plan administrator, apply the supplemental employee pension plan by-law, and maintain liaison with the plan’s actuaries and manager.
- Assume responsibility for computer security, including information security, and ensure the implementation of measures and policies to raise awareness among all users.
- Establish the major orientations of the Procurement Division and ensure cooperation and compliance with procurement laws and policies among the various departments.
- Develop and implement a human resources management approach that fosters mobilization, participation, accountability, initiative, and the achievement of objectives.
- Hold a recognized accounting designation (CPA)
- Certified municipal officer (CMO) designation (Asset)
- Ten (10) years of relevant experience, including five (5) years as a finance department manager in a municipal environment or related field
- Significant experience in procurement and IT (an asset)
- In-depth knowledge of the Windows computer environment and the Office suite
- Project management skills
- Knowledge of AccèsCité Finances (PG) software (an asset)
- Knowledge of Quebec municipal laws and standards (an asset)
- Strong teamwork and interdepartmental collaboration skills
- Inspirational leadership that fosters a positive work environment
- Good political and ethical sense
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong capacity for innovation and creativity
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment
Among the challenges of the role
- Demonstrate budgetary creativity in the context of a moratorium
- Participate in the development of royalty regulations that will dictate the La Prairie of tomorrow.
- Participate in medium-term large-scale urban development projects
Why Join the City of La Prairie
- Outstanding team spirit
- Motivated, young, and dynamic talent
- The possibility of teleworking
- A work-life balance schedule
- An advantageous pension plan
- Many opportunities for professional development
Follow TALINKO on LinkedIn and visit our website
Only the people selected for an interview will be contacted. We support the principle of employment equity.
TALINKO is a recruitment firm of middle and senior executives also offering support in the recruitment of members of the board of directors or advisory committee. We operate in different business sectors.
Please note that the masculine is used to lighten the text, without prejudice against the feminine form.