Ivanhoé Cambridge develops and invests in high-quality real estate properties, projects and companies that are shaping the urban fabric in dynamic cities around the world. It does so responsibly, with a long-term view to generate optimal, risk-adjusted returns. Ivanhoé Cambridge is committed to creating living spaces that foster the well-being of people and communities, while reducing its environmental footprint.
Vertically integrated in Canada, Ivanhoé Cambridge invests internationally alongside strategic partners and major real estate funds that are leaders in their markets. Through subsidiaries and partnerships, the Company holds interests in more than 1,000 buildings, primarily in the residential, office, retail, industrial and logistics sectors. Ivanhoé Cambridge held more than C$65 billion in assets at December 31st, 2018 and is a real estate subsidiary of the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (cdpq.com), one of Canada’s leading institutional fund managers. For more information: ivanhoecambridge.com.
Department : Residentials and hotels
Position type : Salaried
In an environment in which investors are facing new challenges, our corporate strategy and comprehensive vision of post-investment management foster value creation and enable us to position ourselves on the market in a responsible and innovative way to shape the future of real estate worldwide.
Our corporate social responsibility (CSR) is part of the priorities outlined in the Company’s strategic plan. As such, developing partnerships with agencies in markets where we are present will be prioritized to ensure that the Company is recognized as a responsible investment leader.
Based on the principles mentioned above, the incumbent, who reports to the Executive Vice-President, Residential, Hotels and Investment Funds, will be responsible for managing post-investment assets totalling almost C$12M at December 31, 2018, which group together approximately 40,000 apartments in the United States, London (UK), Berlin (Germany), Montreal and Quebec City.
He or she will also have the mandate of directing the residential asset management team, which includes some six experienced professionals, and setting clear goals for each of these professionals to support them in achieving the objectives of the strategic plan related to the residential business unit and to the organization. The incumbent will play a leadership role in encouraging the work team and achieving results.
He or she must be an effective communicator and will be central to key business relationships, in particular those with the head of the business unit, external operational partners and Ivanhoé Cambridge’s internal teams.
More specifically, the incumbent will have the following duties:
- Collaborate with the managers of other business units and departments (Accounting, Finance, Treasury, Taxation, etc.) to achieve organizational objectives ;
- Follow up approved business plans for assets, monitor the performance of post-investment assets and markets and recommend any action to be taken (including disposal, refinancing, modification of the use, approval of capital expenditures) in line with the Company’s strategic plan;
- Ensure compliance with the various conventions that regulate investments (major decisions, follow-up of policies and processes, accountability, compensation, etc.) to maintain the alignment of interests with partners;
- Effectively establish and maintain excellent business relations with the Company’s partners (10 major partners);
- Present and effectively communicate to Ivanhoé Cambridge’s executive committee the financial results produced by the partners regarding business plans and budgets;
- Review and approve the recommendations for adopting the annual operating and capital budgets, as well as the business plans of each asset to ensure compliance with the timelines imposed;
- Oversee the monitoring and implementation of development projects in collaboration with our strategic partners;
- Ensure good communications and strong collaboration between the asset management and investment teams within the business units and other sectors in sharing market information, asset performance and relevant information received from partners.
- 12 to 15 years of relevant experience in asset management or real estate investment in increasingly more complex roles and relevant experience in a similar role;
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, administration or real estate; master’s degree in a relevant discipline is an asset;
- Professional title: CFA or C.App. (an asset);
- Experience managing a top performing team of professionals;
- Excellent communication skills, both spoken and written, and the ability to express oneself clearly and concisely;
- Ability to influence and motivate and to establish good relations with all levels of the organization;
- Great ease in preparing and making presentations to and interacting with senior management and meeting needs and requests with tact;
- Keen desire to learn, bring forward ideas and innovate;
- Ability to work under pressure within tight deadlines and juggle several files and changing agendas;
- Ability to prioritize and organize, a team player that likes to be part of a high-performance culture;
- Highly proficient with the market’s technological tools;
- Bilingual (French and English, written and spoken);
- Available for frequent business travel.
If you are interested in this challenge, please submit your resume.You have everything to gain!
When you join the Ivanhoé Cambridge team, you are eligible for employment benefits and a pension plan that are among the best in the industry. Our many health and wellness programs encourage you to balance your work and personal lives and fulfil your desire for social involvement, while maintaining a healthy lifestyle. At Ivanhoé Cambridge, you will have many opportunities to develop your skills and thrive professionally, in Canada or elsewhere in the world. Our initiatives aimed at creating an exceptional working environment that inspires our employees to give the best of themselves elevated Ivanhoé Cambridge into the ranks of 100 Top Employers in Canada.