Ivanhoé Cambridge develops and invests in high-quality real estate properties, projects and companies that are shaping the urban fabric in dynamic cities around the world. It does so responsibly, with a view to generate long-term performance. Ivanhoé Cambridge is committed to creating living spaces that foster the well-being of people and communities, while reducing its environmental footprint.
Vertically integrated in Canada, Ivanhoé Cambridge invests internationally alongside strategic partners and major real estate funds that are leaders in their markets. Through subsidiaries and partnerships, the Company holds interests in more than 1,000 buildings, primarily in the industrial and logistics, office, residential and retail sectors. Ivanhoé Cambridge held close to C$65 billion in real estate assets as at December 31, 2018 and is a real estate subsidiary of the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (cdpq.com), one of Canada's leading institutional fund managers. For more information: ivanhoecambridge.com.
Department : Industrial, North America
Position type : 15-month contract
Reporting to the Vice President, Strategy and asset management, Office and Industrial, North America, the Senior Manager is responsible for implementing Ivanhoé Cambridge’s asset management strategies, as defined in the annual business plan and/or the Company’s strategic plan. He or she is actively involved in developing the business and strategic plans, as well as in investment activities for industrial markets in North America.
The incumbent contributes to asset management through various investments, including a platform fully owned by Ivanhoé Cambridge. He or she also interacts with and provides support to the capital projects, leasing and other internal departments.
The incumbent helps the investment team during transaction-related due diligence. He or she also acts as a resource person for the production, distribution and presentation of information related to the execution of the unit’s business plan and intended for various entities within the organization. He or she establishes and maintains high-level business relationships with partners, executives, support teams and others as needed. Lastly, he or she is accountable for financial returns, reporting and strategic actions associated with assigned investments.
Main duties include the following:
- Obtain and analyze the financial and management data necessary to monitor the operational and financial results of properties, based on the behaviour of real estate markets, annual budgets and the business plan, while ensuring compliance with the corresponding requirements and making recommendations where appropriate in order to preserve and maximize property values;
- Track comparative subscription performance; monitor balance sheet status and the financial health of major tenants; coordinate the budgeting cycle; prepare the necessary resolutions for legal entities; manage cash flow projections;
- Analyze requests for approval from Ivanhoé Cambridge’s partners and make recommendations in line with established processes and policies and legal agreements governing company partnerships and practices;
- Analyze requests concerning operating, capital and development budgets and leasing policies for the industrial portfolio in accordance with established lines of authority and policies;
- Inform, influence and guide the business unit, partners and other internal and external stakeholders with regard to the financial data required to develop the business plan;
- Monitor the governance of the Evergreen platform and ensure comprehensive and ongoing adherence to Ivanhoé Cambridge’s good governance practices and the terms of various agreements with property owners. Obtain other authorizations as necessary;
- Validate compliance with established procedures for approving transactions, in accordance with the manager/partner’s delegation of authority and applicable policies and budgets;
- Coordinate meetings on capital projects and leasing transactions with internal executives and partners;
- Help prepare annual business and strategic plans and see to the implementation of approved plans in a way that promotes long-term value optimization, risk management and the attainment of performance targets;
- Review business models and presentations for approval purposes in order to ensure the accuracy and robustness of the structure and performance data;
- Visit assigned properties and assets;
- Coordinate and represent the group on committees associated with various partnerships within the designated real estate portfolio; review monthly, quarterly and annual management reports;
- Send the required information to contacts within Ivanhoé Cambridge to prepare quarterly management reports;
- Coordinate the ongoing monitoring of data (vacancy/leasing rates, development volumes, price per square foot) in markets where properties are located;
- Supervise, delegate, explain and check the work of the senior asset management analyst;
- Provide information related to the quarterly financial performance analysis of the industrial portfolio and the distribution of relevant financial reports;
- Contribute actively to the half-year review processes for market values of investments by reviewing assessment reports with the Ivanhoé Cambridge property valuation team and proposing changes where called for;
- Submit comments and recommendations, as required, related to the analysis of acquisition, disposition, development and other financial analysis proposals (including net effective rent, market value impact, etc.) concerning current or potential assets located in designated markets;
- Monitor the application of Ivanhoé Cambridge policies with regard to environmental, security and insurance coverage risks ;
- Develop special ties and positive working relationships and work closely with colleagues and partners;
- Carry out other tasks as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, administration, real estate or accounting; graduate degree strongly preferred;
- C.App., CPA and/or CFA designation an asset;
- Twelve to fifteen years of experience in real estate, real estate accounting, asset management, investment or portfolio management;
- Proven knowledge and experience in international real estate markets and experience in the industrial/logistics sector a definite asset;
- Solid understanding of real estate documentation (leases, mortgages, management agreements, location certificates, partnership agreements, asset management agreements, property financial statements);
- Excellent ability to present complex financial information clearly and understandably; familiarity with executive-level reporting;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships conducive to collaboration with internal and external stakeholders at all levels;
- Proven track record for managing projects independently and meeting specified deadlines;
- Ability to work under pressure and with tight deadlines;
- Available to travel locally and internationally with minimal notice;
- Available to work flexible hours;
- Excellent information processing and analytical skills; detail-oriented and intellectually curious;
- Excellent command of written and spoken French and English; strong report writing skills;
- Outgoing, dynamic, organized and self-motivated;
- High level of proficiency in Excel, Argus, Word, PowerPoint, etc.
If you are interested in this challenge, please submit your resume.You have everything to gain!
When you join the Ivanhoé Cambridge team, you are eligible for employment benefits and a pension plan that are among the best in the industry. Our many health and wellness programs encourage you to balance your work and personal lives and fulfil your desire for social involvement, while maintaining a healthy lifestyle. At Ivanhoé Cambridge, you will have many opportunities to develop your skills and thrive professionally, in Canada or elsewhere in the world. Our initiatives aimed at creating an exceptional working environment that inspires our employees to give the best of themselves elevated Ivanhoé Cambridge into the ranks of 100 Top Employers in Canada.