Ivanhoé Cambridge develops and invests in high-quality real estate properties, projects and companies that are shaping the urban fabric in dynamic cities around the world. It does so responsibly, with a view to generate long-term performance. Ivanhoé Cambridge is committed to creating living spaces that foster the well-being of people and communities, while reducing its environmental footprint.
Vertically integrated in Canada, Ivanhoé Cambridge invests internationally alongside strategic partners and major real estate funds that are leaders in their markets. Through subsidiaries and partnerships, the Company holds interests in more than 1,000 buildings, primarily in the industrial and logistics, office, residential and retail sectors. Ivanhoé Cambridge held close to C$65 billion in real estate assets as at December 31, 2018 and is a real estate subsidiary of the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (cdpq.com), one of Canada's leading institutional fund managers. For more information: ivanhoecambridge.com.
Department: Industrial, North America
Position type : Salaried
Reporting to the Manager, Investments, the incumbent helps to execute investment strategies in accordance with Ivanhoé Cambridge’s investment budget, as specified in the annual business plan and/or strategic plan. The incumbent plays an active role in developing the business and strategic plans and in the investment activities for the North American industrial markets.
He or she contributes to prospecting and analyzing investment opportunities and oversees due diligence, working closely with internal and external stakeholders. He or she helps set up strategic partnerships for major projects, including acquisitions of companies or real estate portfolios. The priority markets for this position are in North America, as outlined in the strategic plan.
Main duties include the following:
- Assist the Manager, Investments, and Senior Vice President, Investments, in analyzing real estate deals;
- Prepare preliminary analyses of investment projects, including financial analyses, and assess the strengths and weaknesses of a project to report to the immediate supervisor;
- Participate in the execution of financial and real estate analysis, due diligence activities and the preparation of documents to be distributed to various committees for decision-making purposes;
- Monitor target markets and maintain a network of industry contacts (appraisers, brokers, managers, etc.) to ensure access to the latest information in order to accurately assess markets and investment projects;
- Participate in negotiating deals entrusted to the supervisor;
- Help coordinate interactions with the portfolio management, development, finance, taxation, legal affairs and risk management teams;
- Monitor transactions carried out in conjunction with the asset management teams in each respective market;
- Perform any other related tasks as assigned by the immediate supervisor or required as part of the job.
- Contribute to developing market strategies, business plans and strategic investment plans; document and present to various committees;
- Produce analyses for various markets and specific products related to designated markets;
- Conduct various preliminary analyses and make recommendations regarding proposed investments and divestitures;
- Take part in due diligence by centralizing documentation and coordinating various internal stakeholders. Contribute to the due diligence process and help ensure its smooth implementation. Coordinate with external stakeholders (partners, brokers, asset managers, etc.) and internal stakeholders (portfolio management groups; finance, taxation, legal affairs, asset management, risk management, insurance and development teams) to gather and/or provide investment-related information in line with transaction deadlines;
- Help assess risks and issues flagged during due diligence and review the relevant points with professionals and partners;
- Establish analysis data in conjunction with the professionals in charge of market studies and other internal departments (treasury, taxation) or directly with market stakeholders;
- Model the bonus-related structures in partnership agreements as well as other financial structures, including those with tax repercussions. Advise immediate supervisor of the impact of these structures, and recommend new ones as appropriate with a view to maximizing performance;
- Prepare various project monitoring reports and documentation used to approve deals;
- Understand the various legal agreements related to partnerships in designated markets;
- Ensure the orderly maintenance of due diligence records and retain analyses used to support recommendations;
- Contribute to the implementation of the legal or tax structure of investments in order to maximize return on investment;
- Prepare documents containing a summary of the relevant information for investment proposals under review as submitted to the investment committee and/or board of directors for approval.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, administration, real estate or accounting. Master’s degree an asset;
- C.App., CPA, CFA or the equivalent an asset;
- Three to five years of relevant experience;
- Proven financial modelling skills;
- Keen interest in the real estate investment field;
- Ability to establish solid ties with internal and external stakeholders;
- Proactive, innovative and results-oriented;
- High-level proficiency in Argus, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Knowledge of Global Fund an asset;
- Available to travel locally and internationally with minimal notice;
- Available to work flexible hours;
- Ability to work under pressure and with tight deadlines;
- Excellent command of written and spoken French and English; good writing skills;
- Solid integrative and information presentation skills; outgoing, dynamic and detail-oriented;
- Dynamic self-starter who thrives in a team environment.
If you are interested in this challenge, please submit your resume.You have everything to gain!
When you join the Ivanhoé Cambridge team, you are eligible for employment benefits and a pension plan that are among the best in the industry. Our many health and wellness programs encourage you to balance your work and personal lives and fulfil your desire for social involvement, while maintaining a healthy lifestyle. At Ivanhoé Cambridge, you will have many opportunities to develop your skills and thrive professionally, in Canada or elsewhere in the world. Our initiatives aimed at creating an exceptional working environment that inspires our employees to give the best of themselves elevated Ivanhoé Cambridge into the ranks of 100 Top Employers in Canada.