(Work place: Montréal)
Desjardins Group is the largest cooperative financial group in Canada, and one of the largest employers in the country. It offers a full range of financial products and services and is home to a wealth of expertise in property and casualty insurance, life and health insurance, wealth management, services for businesses of all sizes, securities brokerage, asset management, venture capital, and secure, leading-edge virtual access methods.
The Specialized Accounting Department is a cross-sector team in the Finance Division with the following responsibilities:
- Analyzing complex accounting transactions in specialized areas, such as accounting for hedging activities and derivative financial instruments, securitization and covered bonds, investments, collective and specific allowances, fair value and offsetting financial instruments.
- Taking on a leadership role for assigned initiatives to meet the needs of the financial disclosure, consolidated financial statements, performance monitoring and governing body and market reporting teams.
- Taking the lead in answering questions concerning from internal and external auditors regarding assigned initiatives.
- Playing a leadership role in answering questions from other units in the organization.
As a senior advisor, specialized accounting, you will serve as a specialist advisor with respect to accounting for derivative financial instruments, hedging activities and other financial instruments in your area of expertise. You will serve as a specialist advisor in your area of expertise for the organization’s units, members of your own unit and various stakeholders. You will identify, develop and recommend positions for decision-making bodies with a view to ensuring consistency and balance between business needs, regulatory compliance and best practices. You will support management in carrying out accounting transactions for the department as well as related monitoring and controls. You will demonstrate a solid knowledge of IFRS accounting standards for accounting transactions in a number of specialized areas, including accounting for hedging activities and derivatives, securitization and covered bonds, investments, collective and specific allowances, fair value and offsetting financial instruments. You will also support specialized accounting analysts.
- Serve as a specialist in your field for the organization’s units, members of your own unit and various stakeholders.
- Analyze information related to derivative financial instrument positions and transactions in partnership with the organization’s units in order to fully understand trends and the nature of the transactions.
- Ensure the validity and quality of information produced that is related to your area of expertise.
- Review financial information produced by the team.
- Support the financial disclosure teams in carrying out highly complex regulatory and audit requests.
- Contribute to strategic and complex projects and initiatives in your area or expertise.
- Participate in feasibility workshops to explain the needs of the Specialized Accounting Department during process improvements or when incorporating new processes.
- Participate in workshops aimed at defining business rules and/or accounting procedures when introducing new products and/or portfolios.
- Contribute to acceptance testing when updating systems and/or business rules with a defined testing methodology to ensure sound accounting processing.
- Monitor the industry to understand and anticipate trends and make appropriate recommendations to develop best practices for the organization.
- Develop the necessary policies and procedures to support strategic projects and initiatives.
- Ensure that work documents and procedures are updated and properly documented.
Other working condition
- Number of job available : 1
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance
- A minimum of six years of experience in the areas of accounting and financial reporting preferably in the financial services sector
Please note that other combinations of qualifications and relevant experience may be considered
- Holding an accounting title CPA
- For vacant positions available in Quebec, please note that knowledge of French is required
- In-depth knowledge of derivative financial instruments and hedge accounting
- Familiarity with financial reports used in the banking and/or financial industry
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office 365
- Extensive knowledge of integrated accounting applications, knowledge of Oracle and OFSAA (an asset)
- Strong communication skills in French (written and spoken)
- Knowledge of English, intermediate level
Desjardins Cross-sector skills
Accountability, Collaborates, Customer Focus, Innovation
Key competencies for the job
Ambiguity, Decision quality, Interpersonal Savvy, Persuades, Plans and aligns, Strategic mindset, Work processes
Complexe Desjardins Montréal
General finance and accounting (FG)