Ivanhoé Cambridge develops and invests in high-quality real estate properties, projects and companies that are shaping the urban fabric in dynamic cities around the world. It does so responsibly, with a view to generate long-term performance. Ivanhoé Cambridge is committed to creating living spaces that foster the well-being of people and communities, while reducing its environmental footprint.
Vertically integrated in Canada, Ivanhoé Cambridge invests internationally alongside strategic partners and major real estate funds that are leaders in their markets. Through subsidiaries and partnerships, the Company holds interests in more than 1,000 buildings, primarily in the industrial and logistics, office, residential and retail sectors. Ivanhoé Cambridge held close to C$65 billion in real estate assets as at December 31, 2018 and is a real estate subsidiary of the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (cdpq.com), one of Canada's leading institutional fund managers. For more information: ivanhoecambridge.com.
Department : Portfolio Construction & Risk Management
Position type : Salaried
Reporting to the Senior Director, Portfolio Construction, the incumbent will provide support for the annual strategic planning process for Ivanhoé Cambridge investments. He/she will construct a benchmark portfolio to inform deliberations and development and create the tools necessary for strategic decision-making. He/she will also undertake specific projects in line with the investment strategy. He/she will help make recommendations to Ivanhoé Cambridge executives and work closely with the Risk, Strategy, Portfolio Construction and Economic Research teams as well as with various business units.
Specific responsibilities will include the following:
- Make recommendations regarding asset allocation and portfolio construction;
- Incorporate quantitative elements and fundamental analysis into portfolio construction;
- Help assess the portfolio and suggest ways to improve it;
Develop portfolio analysis methodology:
Incorporate the macroeconomic aspect and econometric models of the research team;
- Create stress test scenarios and measure the impact on real estate and the portfolio;
- Break down portfolio by return and risk factors;
- Evaluate the risk/return ratio in financial terms and set out a factor-based risk budget (minimum-variance portfolio, allocation approach by country/city);
- Develop portfolio construction tools (R, MATLAB, Python, etc.) and a database;
- Supervise the population and development of the property modelling tool and make a business case for updating this tool;
- Create a benchmark portfolio and update it over time;
Represent the team at worksites and in working groups on a variety of topics:
Monitor business plan updates and actively contribute to establishing a strategy for Ivanhoé Cambridge;
- Help update business processes and systems;
- Conduct ad hoc analyses and effectively convey the findings to senior management.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in a relevant field;
- In-depth knowledge of commercial real estate and valuation methods;
- Six to nine years of experience in quantitative real estate portfolio analysis;
- Experience in portfolio construction and asset allocation;
- Excellent command of advanced Excel functions;
- Knowledge of Argus valuation software;
- Ability to program in MATLAB, R or Python;
- Familiarity with relational databases and SQL;
- CFA or CFA in progress, an asset;
- Talent for analyzing large quantities of data and using them to draw conclusions and establish strategic guidelines;
- Creativity and an innovative mindset in designing risk assessment and portfolio construction tools;
- Ability to convey complex information plainly and concisely and handle large quantities of data;
- Methodical with strong business acumen;
- Ability to establish productive working relationships with people at all levels of the organization and influence decisions;
- Self-motivated team player with strong organizational and prioritization skills and a desire to contribute to a high-performance culture;
- Outstanding written and spoken communication skills in French;
- Good working knowledge of English.
If you are interested in this challenge, please submit your resume.You have everything to gain!
When you join the Ivanhoé Cambridge team, you are eligible for employment benefits and a pension plan that are among the best in the industry. Our many health and wellness programs encourage you to balance your work and personal lives and fulfil your desire for social involvement, while maintaining a healthy lifestyle. At Ivanhoé Cambridge, you will have many opportunities to develop your skills and thrive professionally, in Canada or elsewhere in the world. Our initiatives aimed at creating an exceptional working environment that inspires our employees to give the best of themselves elevated Ivanhoé Cambridge into the ranks of 100 Top Employers in Canada.