The Indirect Tax Manager will be part of a tax group of a multinational company having its head office in Montreal. His/her tasks will be mainly providing indirect tax advice and assistance to business units, participate in project reviews and ensuring proper indirect tax compliance.
- Provide tax advice and assistance to business units on indirect tax (sales and use taxes, GST/HST, QST and other provincial taxes as well as international value-added tax on the general application of commodity taxes.
- Contribute to the identification and reduction of tax risks related to indirect taxes and participate in the establishment and continuous improvement of controls and processes to ensure the Company and its subsidiaries follow indirect tax laws.
- Assist the International Tax managers in reviewing purchase and sale agreements to ensure proper wording for tax clauses. Work closely with Project teams and the Legal department as well as other relevant departments.
- Assist International Tax managers determine and analyze Canadian/US/International tax implications on potential future projects from an indirect tax perspective. Collaborate with the International tax group regarding activities at the international level with respect to Canadian projects.
- Manage the Canadian, US and International commodity tax audits and ensure that tax audits are executed in an efficient, effective and timely manner.
- Prepare information and training documents related to indirect tax compliance and give internal training to business units and corporate tax team.
- Assist the team during the tax planning process (from identification to implementation).
- Assist project teams in establishing new entities and determine registration requirements with the relevant tax authorities.
- Remain current on changes in commodity tax legislation, analyze the impact on the Company’s operations, and communicate information to controllers of business units.
- Assist in analyzing commodity tax implications related to special transactions (e.g. acquisitions, reorganizations) and participate in their integration.
- Communicate with the tax authorities regarding various tax correspondences (notice of assessment, statement of account).
- Minimum 5 years of experience in commodity taxation.
- Degree in accounting, legal or CPA designation.
- Completion of indirect tax courses ( In-Depth GST/HST Course or equivalent).
- Strong team attitude and organizational skills and demonstrated ability to handle multiple files.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong team player.
- Proven leadership skills.
- Fluently bilingual (English and French).
- Available for travel upon request.