Desjardins Group is the largest cooperative financial group in Canada, and one of the largest employers in the country. It offers a full range of financial products and services and is home to a wealth of expertise in property and casualty insurance, life and health insurance, wealth management, services for businesses of all sizes, securities brokerage, asset management, venture capital, and secure, leading-edge virtual access methods.
As a senior accounting standards and financial governance advisor, you help design, institute and update the organization’s financial governance and internal auditing policies, strategies and tools. You present all processes, rules and standards used to manage assets and cash flows.
You lead and influence development projects and complex, highly innovative strategic initiatives involving multiple sectors. You help develop and recommend strategic directions and business positions. Your initiatives require extensive knowledge of your field.
You make recommendations on the planning and execution of operationally and conceptually complex projects and initiatives that require comprehensive analysis and understanding of the organization and line of business. Coordination is critical, so you frequently interact with stakeholders working in a wide range of other fields. Interpersonal savvy is therefore essential.
You serve as expert advisor and subject matter expert, as well as resource person and coach for senior management and decision-making bodies.
More specifically, you will be responsible for participating in the work required as part of the project to implement IFRS 17 – Insurance Contracts across Desjardins Group. You will be an influencer for your team and work on strategic projects.
- Serve as expert advisor in accounting standards for the organization’s units and for various stakeholders. Manage or contribute, as applicable, to different strategic projects and mandates in your field of expertise.
- Identify, develop and recommend orientations and positions to ensure consistency and balance between business needs and compliance with requirements and best practices.
- Play a leadership and influential role regarding strategic mandates or files that require accounting positions. Present the accounting positions used to various internal and external stakeholders.
- Coordinate the planning and completion of complex work related to the interpretation and evolution of accounting standards that have a major impact on the financial statements of Desjardins Group’s various components.
- Play a monitoring role to understand and anticipate trends in your field of expertise and make appropriate recommendations with a view to developing best practices for the organization.
- Represent your unit on various committees, such as management committees, steering committees, project committees and others.
- Oversee and help develop action plans aimed at raising awareness, disseminating information or delivering training to various Desjardins Group stakeholders.
Other working conditions
- Number of job available : 1
- Work place : Montreal or Levis, depending on the candidate's preference
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- Minimum of eight (8) years of relevant experience
Please note that other combinations of qualifications and relevant experience may be considered
- Holding an accounting title CPA
- For vacant positions available in Quebec, please note that knowledge of French is required
Knowledge of the insurance industry (an asset), Independent speaker, intermediate knowledge of English
Desjardins Cross-sector skills
Accountability, Collaborates, Customer Focus, Innovation
Key competencies for the job
Ambiguity, Customer focus, Decision quality, Drive results, Interpersonal Savvy
100, rue des Commandeurs Lévis
General finance and accounting (FG)